The older adult population in Boston is growing and experiencing higher rates of depression and mental health challenges than their counterparts across the Commonwealth.
To help meet the changing and complex needs of our city’s older adults, Ethos has launched an Elder Mental Health Outreach Team (EMHOT) to support those who are experiencing acute mental health crisis. EMHOT provides: mental health counseling, information and referral for mental health community resources, and direct connections to additional support services, in a timely, flexible, consumer-focused manner. Ethos staff work to initiate services and attend individuals’ immediate needs, and then link them with other longer term mental health supports.
EMHOT Team members meet with older adults living in Boston, either at our office or in the community, establishing trusting relationships and provide services including:
- Assessment of the individual’s mental health challenge(s)
- Accessing counseling/therapy services
- Connection to resources across the elder and social services network (i.e. Home Care, Medicare counseling, volunteer and employment opportunities, SNAP benefits, transportation resources, Healthy Aging classes, and much more!)
- Coordination and collaboration with family/caregivers
- Coordination with medical providers
Funding for Ethos’ EMHOT Program has been produced in part from a grant awarded by the Massachusetts Association of Councils on Aging and by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs.
CONTACT ETHOS/MAKE A REFERRAL