Boston to be “Celebrated” at Annual Senior Prom
Boston, MA (May 6, 2013) – May is National Older Americans Month and that means it’s time for Ethos’ annual SeniorPalooza celebration. This year, seniors from all over Boston will gather for events aimed at celebrating the healthy, active and independent lifestyles that Ethos helps bring many of our most experienced citizens.
As it has done for the past nine years, Ethos is honoring the contributions of all older Americans with a community-wide celebration, SeniorPalooza, complete with parties, educational programs, physical activities and entertainment throughout the month. SeniorPalooza is more than just fun events, it is also an opportunity to engage the community in working to improve the health and well-being of older adults and promote healthy aging activities.
The highlight of SeniorPalooza is the annual Senior Prom which is being held on Thursday, May 30, from 11:30 am to 2:30 pm, at the Irish Social Club of Boston, 119 Park Street in West Roxbury. This year’s theme is “Celebrating Boston.”
“Boston’s seniors come from such diverse backgrounds and lend so much strength to the fabric that holds this great city together,” said Dale Mitchell, executive director of Ethos, the Jamaica Plain-based elder services non-profit. “This year’s SeniorPalooza and Senior Prom will pay tribute to Boston and to the seniors which have contributed so much our communities.”
All ages and backgrounds are invited to participate in any of the SeniorPalooza activities to celebrate Older Americans Month. Events are open to the public and most of the events are free to attend. Many require a reservation as space is limited. SeniorPalooza 2013 events include:
- Hyde Park Senior Luncheon – Friday, May 10 – 11:30 am to 2:00 pm – Hyde Park Community Center – Join Ethos, State Representative Angelo Scaccia, Boston City Councilor Rob Consalvo, the Boston Centers for Youth and Familes-Hyde Park, Boston Police Department, and other members of the Hyde Park community for this event, featuring music by Tony Cibotti and a Karate demonstration by One Step Beyond and the Blake Estate Breakers. Space is limited. To RSVP, please call Robert Hickey at 617-635-5178 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Senior Open House at the Hyde Park YMCA – Thursday, May 16 – 9:00 am to 12:00 pm – Hyde Park YMCA – Tour the YMCA’s new building and learn about programs and discounts just for you. Bring your bathing suit and swim in the indoor, heated pool or take a steam. Sample a Water Exercise class or our Fit Over Fifty class. Contact Courtney Harrness at 617-361-2300 or email@example.com.
- Coffee with the Cops – Friday, May 17 – 10:30 am to 11:30 am – Blake Estates – Join Ethos and the Community Service Officers of the Boston Police Department E-18 for an important discussion about safety for seniors as well as, elder abuse and financial exploitation prevention. Please contact Officer Peter Moscaritolo at 617-343-5611 or MoscaritoloP.firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your space.
- Tai Chi in the Park – Sunday, May 19 – 2:00 pm – Sophia Snow Place – Join Tai Chi Instructor, Lois Baho, and local seniors for an afternoon of Tai Chi. Learn how this ancient exercise can help improve balance and overall health. Give it a try and sign up for the next round of classes. Light refreshments will be served.
- Seniorsize at the YMCA – Tuesday, May 21 – 10:05-11:00 am – West Roxbury YMCA – Join West Roxbury Y Health and Wellness staff for a great exercise class designed with seniors in mind. Flexibility, strength training, and cardiovascular conditioning are all included and set to music in a group setting. Take the class, then take a tour of the West Roxbury Y. You don’t have to be a YMCA member to participate. Contact Sean Toland at 617-323-3200 or email@example.com for more details.
- AgeWell Café – Tuesday, May 21 – 12:00 to 1:30 pm – Spring St. Apartments – Join Ethos staff for our monthly community cafe. Tracy Sylven from Faulkner Hospital will be our guest speaker. Pre-registration is required. Contact Ann at 617-477-6616 or firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your seat.
- SeniorPalooza Senior Prom – Thursday, May 30 – 11:30 am to 2:30 pm – Irish Social Club of Boston – Join Ethos in celebrating Older Americans Month at our Annual Senior Prom featuring lunch, dancing and door prizes. This year’s theme is “Celebrating Boston” so show your hometown spirit with your red, white, and blue! Space is limited. Reserve your seat today! To RSVP, call 617-477-6724 or email email@example.com.
For more information about SeniorPalooza, a complete listing of events or find out about ways to enrich the lives of older adults who touch your life please contact Raymond Santos at 617-522-6700 or email or firstname.lastname@example.org.