Ethos and Central Boston Elder Services Partners With Jamaica Plain Community to Reach Out to Older Adults During Older Americans Month
SOUTHWEST BOSTON,MA(April 28, 2009) – Ethos and Central Boston Elder Services has partnered up with local businesses, organizations, elected officials to host SeniorPalooza, a month long celebration with fun and educational events for seniors and their families.
This year, SeniorPalooza activities will take place in the neighborhood of Jamaica Plain throughout May in celebration of Older Americans Month. Past SeniorPaloozas were held in West Roxbury in 2005, Roslindale in 2006, Hyde Park in 2007 and Mattapan in 2008.
Each year, the month of May is proclaimed Older Americans Month throughout the nation in celebration of the achievements and contributions of the nation’s older persons. The U.S. Administration on Aging theme for this year’s Older Americans Month is “Living Today for a Better Tomorrow” and “reflects AoA’s continued focus on prevention efforts and programs throughout the country that are helping older adults have better health as they age and avoid the risks of chronic disease, disability and injury.”
“SeniorPalooza celebrates older Americans and acknowledges their value as members of our community,” states Dale Mitchell, Ethos Executive Director. “It also demonstrates how well the community can work together to keep elders at home, in their own neighborhoods, which is their wish.”
Ethos and community partners have planned over 90 activities next month for Jamaica Plain’s SeniorPalooza including:
- May Day Celebration with City Councilor Chuck Turner – May 1st
- Coffee Hour with Mayor Menino – May 4th
- Seniors in Action: Salsa and Meringue Aerobics – May 5th
- Cafe Multicultural 5th Anniversary Luncheon – May 6th
- Jewelry Making Workshop – May 8th
- Protecting Yourself and Your Assets – May 11th
- Care. Compassion. EQUALITY: 5th Anniversary of Serving LGBT Elders Celebration – May 14th
- Do GOOD, Feel BETTER! Volunteer Expo – May 14th
- Healthy Aging Breakfast with State Rep. Willie Mae Allen – May 15th
- Tai Chi Exercise for Arthritis Sufferers – May 18th
- Managing Money in Difficult Times! – May 20th
- Stump the JP Gazette Editor Sandee Storey with Councilor John R. Connolly – May 20th
- Senior Idol Talent Show with Councilor John Tobin – May 21st
- Laughing Yoga – May 21st
- Discover What’s Next: ReVITALizing Retirement – May 21st
- Heart Healthy Screening & Stroke Education – May 26th
- 50s and 60s Sock Hop/Senior Prom – May 27th
- Ice Cream, Hot Dogs and a Ball Game with Councilor Mike Ross and State Rep. Jeffrey Sanchez – May 28th
- Zoofari Lunch with State Rep. Liz Malia – May 29th
As you can see from this short list of activities, SeniorPalooza is a great example on how the community can work together to improve the health and well being of older adults and pave the way for better health as we age in our communities.
All ages and backgrounds are invited to participate in any of the SeniorPalooza activities to celebrate Older Americans Month. Events are open to the public and most of the events are free to attend. Many require a reservation as space as limited. The SeniorPalooza 2009 calendar will be distributed at community meetings in Mission Hill, Roxbury, Back Bay, West Roxbury, Jamaica Plain, Roslindale, Hyde Park and Mattapan. You also may visit local businesses and community sites to pick up a copy of the calendar.