Ethos Partners With Mattapan Community to Reach Out to Seniors During Older Americans Month
SOUTHWEST BOSTON, MA (April 16, 2008) – For the fourth year running, Ethos has partnered up with local businesses and organizations to host SeniorPalooza, a month long celebration with fun and educational events for seniors and their families.
This year, SeniorPalooza activities will take place in the neighborhood of Mattapan throughout May in celebration of Older Americans Month. Past SeniorPaloozas were held in West Roxbury in 2005, Roslindale in 2006 and Hyde Park in 2007.
“SeniorPalooza celebrates older Americans and acknowledges their value as members of our community,” states Dale Mitchell, Ethos Executive Director. “It also demonstrates how well the community can work together to keep elders at home, in their own neighborhoods, which is their wish.”
Ethos and community partners have planned over 80 activities next month for Mattapan’s SeniorPalooza including:
- 15th Anniversary Celebration for Cafe Sant Grandèt, Boston’s first “Haitian Friendly” Senior Services Program – May 2nd
- Elder Protective Services Listening Session with MA Elder Affairs Secretary Mike Festa and Suffolk County District Attorney, Dan Conley – May 5th
- Hawaiian Luau with State Rep. Linda Dorcena Forry and Sen. Jack Hart – May 7th
- Coed Masters Basketball Tournament for Seniors over 60 – May 10th
- Senior Housing and Safety Services Workshop with City Councilor Charles Yancey – May 12th
- Build Your Own Ice Cream Sundaes with State Rep. Willie Mae Allen and City Councilor Sam Yoon – May 16th
- AgeWell Mattapan Eldercare Resource Expo & “Making Mattapan an Elder-Friendly Neighborhood” Town Hall Meeting moderated by Sarah-Ann Shaw – May 20th
- Quiz Show with City Councilor John R. Connolly – May 21st
- Senior Idol Talent Show, based on the popular TV Show, American Idol with State Sen. Dianne Wilkerson – May 23rd
- Health and Wellness Luncheon with City Councilors Robert Consalvo and Stephen J. Murphy – May 27th
- Ice Cream Social with City Councilor Michael Flaherty – May 28th
- Lenzer Evans Community Bench Dedication and Ribbon Cutting Ceremony – May 22nd
- 4th Annual Senior Prom – May 29th
- District B-3’s Annual Senior Ball – May 30th
All events are open to the public and free. Many require a reservation as space as limited. The SeniorPalooza 2008 calendar will be distributed at community meetings in West Roxbury, Jamaica Plain, Roslindale, Hyde Park and Mattapan. You also may visit local businesses and community sites to pick up a copy of the calendar.